08 July 2013

Right place, right time to call spectacular Nagbe goal

I had a great chance to work with an up-and-coming organization in MLS, the Portland Timbers, on a game a few weeks back. This is a club that puts a lot of resources into its broadcasts and has already seen its television play-by-play broadcaster, John Strong, hired as the new (American!) voice of MLS on NBC Sports.

Booth shot in Frisco.
So when the Timbers asked me if I was available to provide the radio call for their Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal against FC Dallas on June 26 (I'm only a 3-hour drive away), I was psyched to do it.

It had been about 20 months since I had done radio play-by-play, so I felt a little rusty at times, but the game had a terrific second half and one wonderful goal, and it was a really fun experience from start to finish. I'm hoping to produce more extended highlights at some point, but here are the calls from the Timbers' big plays, including Darlington Nagbe's spectacular solo effort:



As an added bonus, I've been called on by Comcast Houston to do play-by-play for the Houston Dynamo's August 10 game against Real Salt Lake. Can't get enough MLS action!

No comments:

Post a Comment